The Great California ShakeOut — Fall 2017 Emergency Drill
Cypress College participates in the Great California ShakeOut today, October 19, at 10:19 a.m. This page contains the live YouTube feed and drill instructions.
Live Drill Broadcast
If you experience difficulty, view live at: https://www.youtube.com/user/CypressCC/live.
About the Drill
Cypress College is participating in the Great California ShakeOut on Thursday, October 19, 2017. All members of the campus community will participate in the drill.
The drill will be held, one at 10:19 a.m. More than 10 million people statewide participated in the 2016 drill. There will be no alarm to start the drill. An earthquake video will be synchronized for the campus to watch simultaneously shortly at the time list above. After watching the video, please review the talking points. There will be no evacuations this year.
Instructions and Resources
- The drill will commence at 10:19 a.m. on Thursday, October 19, 2017.
- The drill will commence with a video broadcast on campus via the college’s website and over the P.A. system
- We ask that you play the video in your class
- The college’s logo will appear in the video beginning at 10 a.m. so that you will know that your video feed is functioning Following the video and review of the talking points (below), the drill will conclude.
- Participation in the drill is required
- ShakeOut drill information, talking points, and instructions
- Orange County Department of Education Emergency Preparedness Information
- Disaster Service Worker Information from OC Department of Education [View]
The Earthquake Country Alliance, has a thorough seven-step guide to preparing for earthquakes. The guide includes this video, which is highly relevant in our environment:
Text Alerts and Emergency Notifications
Students are encouraged to utilize MyGateway to update their personal information for text alert messaging in the event of an emergency. Students must provide their personal information in myGateway to receive these text notifications.
Follow these steps to verify that your cell phone and email address are entered and current:
- Sign into MyGateway.
- Go to the “Personal Information” channel under the “Student” tab.
- Click on the item “Set Text Message Alert Preferences.”
- When clicking on “Set Text Message Alert Preferences,” the next screen will allow you to enter your cell phone information, the cellular service provider, the level of messages you wish to receive and the campus or campuses you want to be notified about.
- After entering your information, click on the “Submit” button.
Our experience has proven Twitter to be a reliable method of emergency communication. In addition to asking you to sign up for text messages (see above), please help out by signing up to follow the college on Twitter. You can do so by visiting http://twitter.com/CypressCollege and clicking on the “follow” button.