Student Ambassador Application Deadline
June 30 @ 12:00 am - 5:00 pm
Cypress College Student Ambassador Program Overview
The mission of the Student Ambassador Program is to empower students to apply their leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills to further their personal and professional development. Student Ambassadors uphold the philosophy and core values of Cypress College by positively personalizing their academic experiences for prospective and current students, their families, and the community at large.
Core Values Statement
Based on the core values of the college, the Student Ambassador Program relies on these specifically:
- Excellence – quality and high standards in “Student First” services, supported by training from staff.
- Integrity – honest, fairness, accountability, and trust in word and action.
- Collegiality – creating an atmosphere of teamwork, collaboration, communication, courtesy, and respect both on campus and with the surrounding community.
- Inclusiveness – supporting a community that embraces diverse individuals, provides an accessible, supportive climate, and encourages a variety of perspectives and opinions.
Staff the Welcome Center during normal business hours.
- Greet every visitor and student as they enter with a smile.
- Respond appropriately and helpfully to questions and concerns from students and visitors.
- Refer students and visitors to applicable campus resources as needed.
- Help at the Computers.
- Keep front counter clean, clutter-free, and organized.
Lead campus tours for prospective students and families.
- Conduct walking tour to showcase the campus.
- Positively discuss the campus facilities.
- Positively discuss personal experiences about being a Cypress College student.
- Answer questions appropriately, honestly, and thoughtfully.
Assist with Outreach programs and events for prospective students, families, schools, community.
- High School Visitations
- College Fairs, Parent Nights, Career Nights
- Orientations, Information Booths
- On-campus Outreach events
- Off-campus Club activities, feeder school events, and other community events
Assist Outreach Committee with specific events
Attend training and assist with new staff
Attend on-campus Friday team meetings from 12-2pm
Other duties as assigned by the Outreach Manager
- Must be a full time student enrolled in at least 12 units
- Must have cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and in good academic standing
- Must pass a required background check
- Must have a current driver license, vehicle, and insurance in order to assist with High School Visitations and other off campus events.
- Evidence of experience speaking in front of small and large groups
- Evidence of experience in teamwork, student government, club involvement, service coordination, or other leadership opportunities
- Evidence of responsibility, dedication, and time commitment to serve
- Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of all prospective students
- Evidence of ability to model as a peer mentor to high school, junior high school, and elementary school students
- Evidence of technologically savviness
Advantages of Membership
- Real-world application of public relations, i.e. networking, communication, public speaking, and leadership skills
- Develops confidence, employability, and career advancement
- Campus recognition
- Exposure to various campus involvement opportunities
- Opportunity to work with/learn from Cypress College faculty and staff
- Participation in a nurturing student organization, fostering a feeling of connectedness to the team and the college as a whole
- $11 per hour, up to 20 hours maximum work week (weekly work hours will vary)
- Go to http://www.cypresscollege.edu/services/Outreach/ambassadorprogram.aspx
- Follow directions and submit a(n) 1) Online Application, 2) Written Response, and 3) Video Link
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Only one application per student accepted per semester.
Application Timeline: Tuesday May 23, 2017 – Friday June 30, 2017
Firm Deadline: Friday June 30, 2017 @ 5pm
Interviews Scheduled: July 17 – 28, 2017 between 9-4pm
Questions? Contact Rae Requena, Lead Student Ambassador at (714) 484-7347 or student.RRequena@cypresscollege.edu